Saturday, June 30, 2012

Film


There's something about film photography that is so endearing to me. The rawness of non-edited images, the beautiful imperfection of the film grain and scratches, the stunning bokeh. I own a completely manual 35mm film camera; this means to take one picture, I have to manually set the shutter speed, aperture, focus and zoom. To a photographer, it's all in a day's work, but to anyone whose photographic expertise goes no further than point-and-shoot and instagram filters, all the numbers and dials would seem like a foreign language. Not to mention all the work that goes into processing and darkroom development. Film photography seems so much more meaningful because such an immense amount of work goes into one photograph, therefore making each shot all the more special.


Unfortunately, I don't have access to a darkroom over the summer, so my film rolls go off to CVS to be processed and developed. Luckily, thanks to modern technology, they can make a CD of your prints along with the hard copies, so I don't have to go through the hassle of scanning them in! I plan to shoot a lot of film this summer, both colour and black-and-white. In the mean time, enjoy more of my film work on my flickr!



No comments:

Post a Comment